ColoradoSkiHistory.com Forum Index ColoradoSkiHistory.com
Preserving Ski History Since 2002

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheyenne Mountain lift failure- What's your opinion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoSkiHistory.com Forum Index -> Lift & Engineering Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anachronism
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Cheyenne Mountain lift failure- What's your opinion? Reply with quote

I'm interested in the opinion of some more familiar with chairlifts than me.

The Cheyenne Mountain "skyride" is a traditional Doppelmayr CTEC FGQ. Seems to me that properly maintained chairs with property trained operators do not irreverisbly stop due to sensor malfuntions and require rescue teams to evacuate riders.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/ride-103244-sky-zoo.html

http://www.gazette.com/news/ride-103317-zoo-computer.html

What is your take? I suspect that people got stranded because the operators were not properly trained in how to override the fault to run the lift to get the folks off.

Or am I ignorant?
brad
Admin Staff
Admin Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not speculate on this board please.

ColoradoSkiHistory.com
Skier Sage
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular incident is a perfect example of a very common problem with modern lift systems. Back in the old days, lifts were very simple and are not likely to break down due to electrical glitches. Modern lifts however have many new features such as computer controlled drives and cable position sensors (just to name a couple, there are probably many more that I don't know of) that make them much more complicated than old lifts. With all of these extra electronic additions, it is more likely that one of these electronics will fail and cause lifts to have unnecessary breakdowns. Anyone that has dealt with any type of computer should know that they don't work perfectly at all times. I know that every computer that I have owned has crashed at one time or another. So inevitably, when there is a computer that controls a lift, it eventually will crash and cause the lift to breakdown. What I want to know was why the emergency drive did not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoSkiHistory.com Forum Index -> Lift & Engineering Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: